Can't see modem on /dev/cua1

This is not a Linux/Debian specific problem but I don't know whom else
to ask so I beg the list's indulgence.

I recently replaced my motherboard with a Tyan Tomcat III with one
Pentium 133 (getting ready for SMP). The board has two on-board 16550A
based serial ports. Everything appears to working fine except that I
can't access the modem. The serial module is being loaded and setserial
sees the ports with correct IRQs and port addresses. However, when I use
minicom I see nothing, ATZ does nothing and the modem lights don't come
on. I have also tried /dev/ttyS1 and various baud settings to no avail.
On the other hand Windows95 can detect the modem correctly on COM2 and I
can see the modem lights blinking. Hence I don't think it is a hardware
or cabling problem. But neither the hyperterm "application" nor Telix
can initialise COM2. The mouse (on COM1) works fine under Windows95, I
haven't tried it under X yet.

Thanks, Evan.

--
Evan Thomas