RE: Drivers for Iomega Zip Drive?

Chad,

On my PC, this works "magically".

I've a PC with an Iomega ZIP drive attached to the parallel port, and
for some time --believing the HOWTO re ZIP drives claiming only the SCSI version
is supported, not the parallel port-- I made backup in a two stage manner
(booted Linux, copied files and TAR sets to a DOS volume, booted DOS, and
then copied them to the ZIP drive).

However, I noticed that, when the ZIP drive was powered on and connected
to the parellel port while booting Linux, I got messages on a SCSI device
that the boot image apparently found (I do not have a SCSI adapter or any
SCSI device on my PC).

The messages were on a device /dev/sda4, and when a diskette was inserted in my
ZIP drive, the messages during boot identified the "non-exisiting" SCSI device
and an IOMEGA drive. I then decided to play stupid, and while Linux (Debian 1.1.4)
was booted, I gave the command (under root):

     mount -t msdos /dev/sda4 /mnt

The amber light of the drive flashed, and I got the UNIX prompt without any
warnings. Subsequent commands like:

     ls /mnt
     copy /mnt/* .

     copy ~/*.c /mnt

worked OK. Also, after booting DOS, I could simply read the *.c files on the
ZIP drive that were copied there from Linux and vice versa!

I suggest you try this as well.

NB the ZIP drive HOWTO is rather out of date; I did send an email some time
ago to the HOWTO's author, and got back a fairly arrogant answer which I trashed,
but from the few lines in the multi-line answer that were to the point I could
deduce that apparently the parallel port is a SCSI interface "in disguise", hence
the above trick to work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Erik

--- On Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:21:40 -0700 (MST)  Chad Zimmerman
<chad@dabcc-www.nmsu.edu> wrote:

>Has anyone seen anyting on drivers so that someone can use their zip drive
>on their Debian system?  I think I saw somewhere that there were drivers
>for RedHat's version, but nothing else.  I have a Zip and want to use it
>for making my backups on the linux systems I run.
>
>Anyone hear anything on this?
>
>Chad
>

>Chad D. Zimmerman
>Sys Admin: dabcc-www.nmsu.edu
>chad@dabcc-www.nmsu.edu
>web@dabcc-www.nmsu.edu
>http://dabcc-www.nmsu.edu/
>

>--

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

Cheers, Erik

 | Erik Pessers, project manager                                              |
 | Telindus Networks nv/sa                         Phone:  +32 16 382011      |
 | Geldenaaksebaan 335                             Direct: +32 16 382956      |
 | B-3001 Heverlee, Belgium                        Fax:    +32 16 382933      |
 | EMail:  erikp@telindus.be                                                  |
 |         Erik.Pessers@acm.org                                               |
 | X.400: /C=BE/A=RTT/P=Telinfo/DDAttribute=rfc-822/DDAvalue=erikp@telinfo.be |
 | PGP fingerprint : E4 E0 2E CB 24 57 F4 31  15 E0 C0 9B 25 7D B8 88         |