Re: virtual mail domains... long-winded response

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Carl Greco wrote:

> I have set up a couple of Linux based e-mail servers with uucp.  The
> main advantages of uucp are low cost and local control of e-mail
> accounts.

Exactly the reason why I like it.

> The latest system (a 386SX-16MHz 4MB PC) uses Debian 1.1
> with smail and qpopper (pop3) to distribute e-mail to a LAN comprised
> of WfWg PC's running Eudora Light clients.  The major disadvantage is
> the addressing currently required, i.e.,
> 	local-host!username@isp-domain.net
> instead of
> 	username@local-host.isp-domain.net
> I suspect that the proper MX record at the ISP would fix this.

I don't use smail, so I can't comment there, but with sendmail you can
choose the type of uucp addressing to use.  I use Taylor's uucp which
is smart enough to understand domain based addressing so on my mail
machine I specify the uucp-dom mailer and my Internet provider does the
same.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
                                   Nick