Re: Cross Compiling for DOS/Windows3.1/Windows95

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I've done this a lot (I gave an article to the CUJ but they never published
> it on this topic).

Could I get a copy ... ?

> The win32 is old...the stuff from cygnus is not cross-compiled yet (but
> it shouldn't be too difficult...)

The Win32 development crosscompiler I downloaded yesterday appears
to be from cygnus.  At least the name is:  i386-unknown-cygwin32.  The
interesting thing is that when I tried using it to compile my code I got
undefined function errors for sqrtl() and fabsl() even though I had
included math.h.  Looking at the library archives for libm.a didn't seem
to have these functions, but listed: e_sqrt, ef_sqrt, w_sqrt, wf_sqrt,
s_abs, and sf_abs.  I tried changing the functions in the program to these
and still got errors.  I finally just used sqrt() and abs(), and the code
compiled.  I don't know why though.

Trying to run the result on a Win95 machine gave an error saying no
cygwin.dll file found.  This was easilly remedied, but now I get an error
saying the dll requested doesn't match (wrong magic number).

I'm barely conversant in "C" so I'm not too sure what I'm doing here.

> Don't install djgpp under dosemu...but you need to make a compiler and
> binutils...

According to my understanding of a previous post it seems the djgpp
library could be installed for cross compiling with gcc, but that the elf
version of gcc could be a problem.  Is this correct?  Do I need two copies
of gcc, one for a.out compilation and one for elf?

Basically, can you explain briefly how to set this up?  What steps are
needed?  I can probably work out the details if I know what needs to be
done.

Thanks,

- Wayde Allen
  (allen@boulder.nist.gov)