installation methods

I was wondering the other day about alternate installation
methods, that is alternate to the standard interactive process.

Does Debian support any automated installation processes?  I.e.
give dpkg a list of packages and it will install the current
versions.

One nice application would be a simplified installation process
similar to those we see with other gui installer programs where
you can select a standard or custom installation etc.  It would
be particularily nice to have setups for standard machine setups
like 'nntp server', 'web server', 'developer workstation',
'user workstation'.

Is this functionality already there?  Is the fluff already
there?

--
Bernard Leach                    Australian Business Access Pty Ltd.
leachbj@aba.net.au               http://www.aba.net.au/