Re: PCB, Abuse, Xaw* etc.

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996 12:41:40 -0200 "Alexander Gieg"
(agieg@brworld.com.br) wrote:

> 1) When I attempt to use PCB it doesn't work, saying that
>    there is no libXaw.so.6. They look in /usr/lib and /lib,
>    so I tried to put a symlink in one of these directories
>    to the real libXaw file, and runned ldconfig, but didn't
>    work.

Might be an old a.out compiled package. Try a ldd on it and if says
it has DLL Jump something, it is an old a.out. Install xcompat then.

> 3) I've installed the Xaw3d and Xaw95 packages, and now I'm
>    with three 'libXaw.so.?' files, but the softwares don't seem
>    to work with 3d decorations. I need to delete, move, copy,
>    symlink or another thing any of these libraries? There is
>    the need for recompiling some programs? I've read the
>    documentation but, with sicerity, I don't understood
>    anything. :-(

Normally, try to symlink libXaw.so to your favorite libXaw<something>
. Check for the soname with ldd again, you might have to link from
libXaw.<major version>.so.

> 5) There are some packages required or suggested by another
>    with aren't classified in any "Package" file of either
>    rex, contrib or non-free, like "xcompat" and "xcontrib".
>    There is some problem if I'll do a manual installation?

Not at all. These cannot be find in rex but should be in buzz and
work perfectly with rex.

> 6) Wath I do when a package needs another package that don't
>    exists, like "xbmbrowser", who needs "pbmplus"? I know
>    that netpbm have pbmplus, but dselect don't, and give me
>    some error messages.

Pbmplus has been obsoleted to netpbm. If a package requires pbmplus, complain to the developper.

Phil.