re: Cards using the Plug and Play protoc

Hi,

> 	I have bought a SoundBlaster 16 PnP (Plug and Play) sound card
> to my computer, since then I am trying to put it to work with litle
> success. I manage to ear the CDs (booting first in MS-Dos mode) but
> thats all.

Since the current kernel hasn't P&P support, you'll need the isapnp tools
to configure your card. I don't know whether there is a Debian package
of it available yet, but in any case you can pick up a copy from sunsite.
Archie tells me the URL is

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/pub/pnp/utils/isapnptools-1.8.tgz

Grab the package, compile it, and RTFM. Basically, you'll have to run
pnpdump to extract info about the SoundBlaster card and its possible
configurations. Capture that info to a file and edit it to give you the
configuration you want. You must then create a small init file that reads
this config each time you boot in /etc/init.d. See the readme provided
there for details on how to set up your own init file. Once you have that
down, you can recompile your kernel to give you sound support for the
Soundblaster with the paramaters you'veconfigured. Works for me, YMMV.

Ciao,
--
Thomas Baetzler, thb@regioservice.de, http://home.pages.de/~thb/