nfs setup

Hi,

This is a problem I tried to solve for about 3 weeks without much
progress.

My intended system setup has a dependency graph as follows...

	Sys-A <-+--: Sys-B <---: Sys-C
		|		  |
		+-----------------+

Where both Sys-C and Sys-B depends on Sys-A for an administrative
directory containing the motd and hosts.*
and Sys-B contains the home directory for both Sys-B and Sys-C.
and Sys-C is a debian mirror.

The reason for such an unusual setup involving Sys-A is that
the uptime for Sys-B and Sys-C is dependent on the availability
of the systems in my lab but Sys-A is consistently up.

My problem is in the setting up of the nfs.
Sys-B and Sys-C refuse to startup rpc.nfsd.

they return the error:
nfsd: could not make a UDP socket

What is puzzling is that Sys-A's nfsd is up and running without
any problem.

I have tried copying the kernel to Sys-B and Sys-C to no avail.

The intrigueing thing was that Sys-C actually worked twice..
both when I changed the kernel (when I copied Sys-A's kernel over
and when I upgraded Sys-C to Debian 1.2).  Unfortunately, it only
lasted one reboot... afterwhich nothing else I tried worked.

rpcinfo on Sys-(B|C) reports:
No remote programs registered.

Which is funny because `ps -xaef | grep rpc` returns:
  712  ?  S      0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-2.69 previous=N T
  715  ?  S      0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-2.69 previous=N
  662  ?  S      0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-2.69 previous=

But if rpcinfo is ran locally, they return:
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp    823  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    825  mountd

Sys-A and Sys-B are now on Debian 1.1,
Sys-C is running Debian 1.2

I will upgrade Sys-B to Debian 1.2 when day breaks but am really
reluctant to change anything on Sys-A, (unless Sys-B is willing
to work).

Things I have tried:
1) (Recompiling|borrowing|stealing) kernels from 2.0.(0|6|27)
2) Toyed with different setting of /etc/exports and /etc/fstab
3) Different settings of rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd and rpc.portmap
4) Reinstalling Debian 1.1 and Debian 1.2

Can anyone please give any suggestion?
Thanks

Just me,
Wire ...