nfs dselect problem

I have three debian machines here. One of them has a whole lot of
packages I downloaded in a directory. I start up NFS on this machine,
run dselect on another. Use the NFS method, I point the main
directory to be mounted as the directory containing the packages.

I then say the various directories are `none', except for local,
which is `/', and to scan it. Update scans all the packages successfully,
Select picks which new ones to install, but when I run Install, I
get

internal error - no filename at -e line 12, <P> chunk 19.

installation script returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.

This happens on both of the other machines.
Any suggestions?

hamish