Re: NTFS Filesystems

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Robert Platt wrote:

> Can Linux read NTFS filesystems?  I looked at the partitions using fdisk
> and it read the NTFS filesystem as OS/2 HPFS, but when I tried to mount
> it calling it HPFS it didn't work.  Is there any way to do this?

Work is being done on a NTFS driver for Linux... There's even a Debian
package for the driver in the 'experimental' section. But right the driver
is still alpha (i.e. use at your own risk). So you at least definitely
want to have a backup of the data in case something goes bad. And
depending on how much value your data has, you might want to use something
safer to transfer your data (like, say, creating a good ol' fat
partition.)

  Christian

PS Here's the package information.

chrish@pianocktail:[~] >dpkg -s ntfs
Package: ntfs
 This is a read-only driver for the Windows NT file system, or NTFS.
 Make sure you understand that this is alpha software. This means that the
 implementation is neither complete nor well-tested. Still, it works for me
 and others, so you can try it out. You should know how to restore the system
 after a crash, and have a backup of any valuable data, just in case.