Recompiling kernel broke my ppp

Title says most of it.

I have had this problem before, and now I can't figure out how to fix it, nor can I find the previous reference in the mailing list archives.

So here it is: I have been running 2.0.6 kernel for some time now with no problems.  I was experimenting around with trying to get my SB16 audio card and my AHA1542 to work at the same time (wanted to hear Biff bark <g>) but had no luck.

So I moved my original kernel back to /vmlinuz, but now ppp doesn't work.  I can start my chat script, the modem dials, I get connected.  I see the remote IP in the routing tables.  I see the IP I have been dynamically assigned.  I can ping myself (ppp0), but if I ping the remote IP, I see the xmit light on the modem blink, but there is no answer from the remote site.

I am using kerneld, so pppd goes away if I let the modem disconnect.

Tried recompiling from the 2.0.6 kernel-source with and without kernel ppp support.
Did the make modules and modules_install.  I am stumped.  What should I try to get this fixed?  I am sure it is simple but it escapes me.

Thanks!

---
Ken Gaugler   Systems Engineer, Hybrid Networks, Inc.
(home: 'keng at aimnet dot com', URL:http://users.aimnet.com/~keng)
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."

---

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.