Re: UMSDOS partition and debian

David_Oswald@prenhall.com said:
>         I have gathered that it is possible to run the debian installation
>      in a dos fat partition. I am hoping that this configuration would
>      resemble the slakware installation running over the dos fat partition.

Do not, repeat DO NOT use UMSDOS filesystems with 2.0.x kernels up to 2.0.23.
There are at least two problems I'm aware of. I believe one of them has been
fixed in the 2.0.27 kernel, but I haven't verified that yet. The other problem
has to do with SCSI disks. As far as I can tell, UMSDOS still does not work
with SCSI disks. Your kernel stack will overflow, which means all kinds of
random, nasty things can happen.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"Better stop short than fill to the brim.  Oversharpen the blade, and the edge
   will soon blunt.  Amass a store of gold and jade, and no one can protect
   it.  Claim wealth and titles, and disaster will follow.  Retire when the
   work is done.  This is the way of heaven."
   - Tao Te Ching