Re: LaTeX question?

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Jonas Bofjall wrote:

> I have a feeling that this question is very off-topic here, but in that
> case I would appreciate if I am told where it is not. I installed Debian
> on a computer mainly to run LaTeX, but I don't understand really what I
> need to do. I installed almost everything on the TeX disks.
> When I try to run latex it just complains that it can't find the default
> format files (or something). I found out from reading the man-pages over
> and over again that if I run amstex instead, it doesn't complain about
> that. But it still doesn't work. It doesn't recognize most of my commands,
> for example \documentclass or \usepackage. Why is this and how does this
> work? There is some information in the doc directory but I can't typeset
> it! Any help is appreciated..
>    // Jonas

That's looks like you haven't yet compile the plain.tex  and
latex.tex compile...
You must do it with the dump option (don't remember how exactly doing that
but e-mail me, the information is at home). Elsewhere, is you hadn't have
the kpathsea correctly set... but I'm not an expert about it?
 Did you install it from the debian packages? I think not but that's can
be a good idea. The amstex are just some popular macros widely used in
documentation. But if it didn`t understand \documentclass, it cannot help.

 Made from 100% recycled electron!
Fabien Ninoles aka Baffouille       || Running Debian-Linux
Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca                || Lover of MOO, mountains,
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01 || poetry and Freedom.

Version: 2.6.3i
Charset: noconv