Re: Goodbye, all! (Whatever became of X3.2)

    Bruce> From: "Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com>
    >> I never placed my position as "distribution manager" on the
    >> line for this point.  I just said that if you didn't want me to
    >> do my job, then say so.

    Bruce> Indeed you didn't. I think the problem is mine. I've been
    Bruce> able to delegate almost _everything_ about the project, but
    Bruce> I am having a real problem delegating release control. So I
    Bruce> won't delegate it again. I'm sorry that you were the
    Bruce> casualty.

This thread seems to have appeared in the debian-user lists a little
like a bolt from the blue. I am a very keen Debian user and
proselytiser and I'm sure that many of us are very concerned about the
future of Debian re. what we have read.

I don't want debian-user to become a war zone or a mud slinging forum,
but perhaps a short statement from Brain and Bruce would be in order.

What is the problem with XFree3.1 that to release Debian 1.2 with it
would have been so disastrous? (I have a lot of machines running 3.1
connected to the Internet, I feel I should be told.)

What was the nature of Ian's `invasion' into the ftp site?

Has Bruce been `held hostage'? How does that reflect on the leadership
of the Debian project?

I really like Debian, both as an excellent high quality GNU/Linux
distribution, and (I thought) as a model of cooperative, dispersed
development. I really hope that it succeeds, in fact I hope to
contribute to its success, but my _perception_ at the moment is of
technical secrets being kept from users (re. XFree3.1) and of possibly
dark and unpleasent personal problems dammaging the distribution's
development. That, alas, really smacks of proprietary development models.

Yours, concerned,
Graeme

--
| Graeme A Stewart, pgp public key  finger graeme@ariel.igeofcu.unam.mx	|
|  Key fingerprint =  AF C7 BF A4 52 D5 3C 3B  17 A5 62 43 DA 15 E8 97  |