[NFS] UDP Socket?

Hi,

when I tried to start rpc.nfsd, I get the error
	nfsd: could not make a UDP socket

My /etc/exports and /etc/fstab are ok.

System setup:
Both server and client are running on debian linux 1.1 (kernel 2.0.6).
   and are meant to share data.
Setup is default but I have since edited the /etc/exports and
   /etc/fstab.
rpcinfo on system1 reports
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
on system2:
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100005    1   udp    957  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    959  mountd
 545580417    1   udp    959  bwnfsd
 545580417    1   tcp    961  bwnfsd
    150001    1   udp    963  pcnfsd
    150001    2   udp    963  pcnfsd
    150001    1   tcp    966  pcnfsd
    150001    2   tcp    966  pcnfsd

Things I have tried but to no avail:
1) Recompiling the kernel with NFS support (both as module and
	built-in).  The same message as above.
2) Use the latest netstd package

Things with unsatisfactory success:
1) Use a friend's kernel, I was able to get the nfs working..
	the kernel is 2.0.0 but is minimally setup for nfs
	support.  I tried to recompile but thing failed again.

Question:
1) Are there any references I can refer to that might help?
2) What is this UDP socket and what's the use...
3) Is there anywhere I can get a kernel *debian?* that can
	support nfs?

Thanks.

Just me,
Wire ...