Odd problem with XFree 3.2

I recently installed the XFree 3.2 packages from unstable in my machine.
Although most things seem to work fine, I'm experimenting a very odd problem
with the xrdb command.

If I run

  xrdb -merge .Xresources

I get the message:

xrdb: cannot run '/lib/cpp -traditional -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_SOURCE
-DREVISION=0 -DVENDOR="The XFree86 Project, Inc" -DVNDR_The_XFree86_Project__In
c -DRELEASE=3200 -DNUM_SCREENS=1 -DEXT_XFree86_DGA -DEXT_XFree86_Misc
-DCLASS_PseudoColor=34 -DCOLOR -DCLASS_PseudoColor_8=34
-DCLASS_DirectColor_8=35 -DCLASS_GrayScale_8=36 -DCLASS_StaticColor_8=37
-DCLASS_TrueColor_8=38 -DCLASS_StaticGray_8=39'

This seems like xrdb is not being able to find the C preprocessor as /lib/cpp,
even despite the fact that /lib/cpp is a valid link to /usr/bin/cpp.  However,
if I try

   xrdb -cpp '/lib/cpp -traditional'-merge .Xresources

this works just fine (???).

But, after this, there is something really strange.  If, after issuing the
last command, I issue a new

   xrdb -merge .Xresources

it works fine (!!!).

Summarizing, xrdb fails when I use it for the first time, but after specifying
the C preprocessor's path once, it starts working correctly.

Any ideas of what may be happening?

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co