Re: Can't get xdm to work.

Stan Brown (stanb@netcom.com) wrote:
: 	I can't seem to get xdm to work on my debian box. X starts and runs
: fine if invoked with startx. The only strabge thing that I havefound is
: that I had to habd configure the /etc/11/xdm/Xservers file. I'm pretty sure
: that I got that right.
(snip)
: 	When i run xdm there is a breif disk acces, and then nothing happens.
: There are no messages in /var/log/xdm-errors.

Check that xdm is enabled in /etc/X11/config. You should not have the lines:
	no-start-xdm
	no-xdm-start-server
I don't know exactly what each line does, but if you put the lines
	start-xdm
	xdm-start-server
in /etc/X11/config, xdm will start at boot time (you can switch to a VT and end it with /etc/init.d/xdm stop at any time).
I didn't have to modify the Xservers file.
You may want to add xbanner in your /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 file, to get
a pretty background, but more important, xscreensaver.

					Mat