xdm -- Second X Session

ugs@laci.net writes:
 > So far, I've only been able to manually get a second X session going for
 > root (doesn't seem to work for a normal user :( ) by using the following
 > command line: "startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64 :1"

How about something like 'X :1 -query machinename' where machinename
is the name of your machine. Incidentally, you can control who is
allowed to start the X server by editing the first line of the
/etc/X11/Xserver file.

The '-query' option tells the server to send an XDMCP 'query' message
to the xdm on the specified machine, asking that xdm to manage the
display. If you want to start an X session on another machine you can
use the same command.

Alternatively you can get xdm to start two servers by adding another
line to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. You will need to specify that the
second server is display :1, and you will probably also need to tell
the servers explicitly which VT to start on; there is a known race
condition when two servers start simultaneously.

Steve Early