Re: Managing a network of Debian machines?

> Problems: some packages need hand editing of some config files in
> /etc. This could be handled by cfengine, which can be run by the same
> cron job after dftp. Another problem is that I *think* dftp can only
> do ftp. This is a nuisance when your upgrade center doesn't have
> anonymous ftp. If this is really the case, I think we should ask the
> author of dftp to include support to use a directory instead of ftp
> only.

'cfengine' actually comes with it's own cron.daily script that also
supports config files stored using RCS or CVS.

Running 'dftp' from that same script will cause problems since it
eventually calls 'dpkg' to do the work and that can require user
input.

'dftp' will run off any mounted filesystem as well as over FTP.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )