upgrading from dpkg-1.0.5-0

I've got a system here with dpkg-1.0.5-0 on it, and I cannot
isntall eighter dpkg_1.2.6 or dpkg_1.4.0.3, both failing with:

   # dpkg -i dpkg-1.2.6.deb
   (Reading database ... 6305 files and directories currently installed.)
   Preparing to replace dpkg (using dpkg-1.2.6.deb) ...
   dpkg: unknown option --assert-support-predepends

   Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages;
   Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
   Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files.
   dpkg: error processing dpkg-1.2.6.deb (--install):
    subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
    dpkg-1.2.6.deb

Does anyone know how to upgrade this?
Thanks very much.

System:

# dpkg -l dpkg "libc*" "ld*so"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name         Version   Rev  Description
ii  dpkg             1.0.5 0    Package maintenance system for Debian GNU/Linux
rn  libc                        (no description available)
un  libc.so.4                   (no description available)
in  libc5                       (no description available)
ii  ldso           1.8.5-1      The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilities

(libc5-recent also fails, with simmilar erros as dpkg).

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl