Re: Dselect docs for beginners

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I don't know whether it's really necessary to advise people not to
> select any large packages at this stage.  Everything ought to work
> reasonably well if they just select what they want.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.  I took a 1.1.4 CD release, followed the
instructions through first boot/password/adduser/dselect.  With my
Slackware mindset, I selected everything that I thought would be useful,
not knowing how easy it is to add later.

Halfway through the install, packages started failing.  Required packages
didn't install.  Needless to say, it was a mess.

I reformatted, and started over.  I only installed the preselected stuff,
and it went well.  Re-ran dselect, selected all the stuff from before, and
it went smoothly.  I guess that there was a pre-dependency problem
involved.

   |   This is OFFICIAL WRITTEN notification that I want to be REMOVED   |
   |   from ALL commercial mailing lists.  EVERY message sent from this  |
   | account has had this request posted. ALL UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS |
   |     SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL (U.S.) LAW.    |