Problem: Sony magneto-optical disks RMO594 and Linux

Dear "List",

        I follow this list for a while and appreciate its interest. I have
now a question that could be addressed here I think.

        I run Debian (1.1) Linux (kernel 2.0.25) on a Pentium with 48 MB Ram,
        an Adaptec
2940 SCSI card that is fully recongnized, a Micropolis SCSI hard disk
2.0 GB that works fine under DOS, Windows NT and Linux and a magneto
optical device SONY RMO-S594 that allows to read/write removable media
of 2.4 Gb in total (1.2 GB by face).

	The problem come with the RMO-S594 on linux (It works with Windows NT 3.51
on the same machine but I want to be able to run ONLY Linux ...).

        The device is - seen by the machine at boot time, (see below)
                      - seen by the linux kernel at boot time and identified
as /dev/sdb but cannot be used, neither formatted nor mounted.

	To be more precise:
1) fdisk does see the device and can partition it.
For example, fdisk gives

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 158 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1            1        1      158  1269103+  83  Linux native

2) I cannot make a filesystem on it.
  When I try "mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sdb1"
After a successfull creation of the inodes (up to 155 and not  158 !)
I get

ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while creating root dir

and the program exits. What does happen ?

3) Whereas I can format a HD under dos/Windows NT in Vfat, and mount if under
Linux, I cannot do this with the RMO. There is apparently a problem
with the partition too.

For example a single partition created on the RMO with WindowsNT
give (with fdisk)

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 158 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1            1        1       80   635888    6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 0, 33)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(620, 63, 32) logical=(79, 42, 27)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(620, 63, 32) should be (620, 254, 63)

How come ? How to mount such a partition ?

	If you have any hint, like: what do I need to do to use the RMO
device with Linux, it would be most welcome ? Where ask the question ... ?

	Thanks,

	Nicolas Pettiaux