Can't seem to replace sendmail with smail.

Hi.  I decided to try sendmail this week, but then decided that smail
is better for me at this time.  Unfortunately, dpkg and dselect don't
agree with me.  They both refuse to go in this direction.  The removal
of sendmail is refused as smail is not installed, but I can't install
smail 'cause it conflicts with sendmail.  When I went smail --> sendmail,
dselect took care of the problem.  Can anyone help me with this dilemma?
I tried the forcing options of dpkg, but could not get it to work.

Thanks.  Syrus.