Re: Help installing debian "Other" packages

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Wayne Richardson wrote:

> I can download these packages from the internet from my windows '95
> machine and then transfer them to the Linux system using a diskette.

> When I try to run dpkg on these files I get errors.

Are you *certain* that you are transferring them in BINARY mode?

Do you have your floppy drive mounted so that it does automatic *nix<->DOS
conversion?  (It shouldn't.)

   |   This is OFFICIAL WRITTEN notification that I want to be REMOVED   |
   |   from ALL commercial mailing lists.  EVERY message sent from this  |
   | account has had this request posted. ALL UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS |
   |     SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL (U.S.) LAW.    |