>From agent  Thu Nov 14 02: 10:08 1996
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:17:35 +0200 (IST)
From: "Marc A. Volovic" <marc@cs.huji.ac.il>
To: Bill Bumgarner <bbum@friday.com>
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: XFree86 3.2 Initial Reports

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

> I grabbed the XFree86 3.2 packages from master and took 'em for a test
> spin;  it is quite an improvement over 3.1.2g -- and it works with most

debian packages already?

> The default background used under XDM is disgusting-- it is pretty much
> gurantees to cause aliasing on any monitor at higher resolutions...
> whoever decided that that particularly multi-pixel carpet-like pattern
> should be the X standard should be shot.

How about:

---/etc/X11/config
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
modify-xdm-background
xdm-background-colour darksalmon
xdm-start-server
start-xdm
---/etc/X11/config

---/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $

if grep -q ^run-xconsole /etc/X11/config
then
  xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed \
    -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole
fi

if grep -q ^modify-xdm-background /etc/X11/config
then
  XDMBGCOLOUR=`grep ^xdm-background-colour /etc/X11/config | cut -f2 -d" "`
  if ! xsetroot -solid $XDMBGCOLOUR
  then
    xsetroot -solid cornflowerblue
  fi
fi
---/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0

---MAV                              (finger for PGP signature block)
My opinions are my own and only my own. Standard disclaimer applies.
Marc A. Volovic (marc@cs.huji.ac.il)       Linguists do it cunningly