debian+emacs problem

Hello,
I'm a sysadm at a Civic Network in Italy.

I got a problem with emacs 19.31-2 installed with Debian 1.1.4.
When I edit long lines reactions become unpredictable: sometimes
it works well, other times it truncates the line or melts it with
the surrounding lines.

I've tried to install emacs binaries 19.29, .30 and .32 but the
problem remains.
Have you ever heard about this? Do you know if it is due to other
components, such as ncurses? ... Do you know a solution ?

Thank you very much,
        Marco Prandini.