Re: Is `.deb' still better than `.rpm'?

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Martin Konold wrote:

> I would like to be able to install packages on stand alone systems
> without X11

I second that! I'd prefer it the way 'dselect' already is working on the
console and in an xterm under X11. A GUI oriented installation tool is a
waste of CPU time, memory, disk space and man power (regarding it's
development) and would probably have no more functionality than good
looks. It's one of the few downs on the part of RedHat to have an X11
installation tool, providing only the command line RPM for the console.
This was one of the negative reasons not to choose RedHat BTW. Although
the present 'dselect' is not cause for joy either...
                                                                P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/