Re: Boot up problem...

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Tim Sailer wrote:

> In your email to me, Adam Shand, you wrote:
> >
> >   Configuring serial ports....done.
> >   /dev/cua0: No such device
> >   /dev/cua1: No such device
> >   /dev/cua2: No such device
> >   /dev/cua3: No such device
> >   INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
> >
> > I traced the problem down to /etc/rc.boot/0setserial, I read the script
> > (removed all the stuff I don't need) and manually defined the com ports.
> > The error persisted.
>
> You didn't install the serial.o module when you were installing
> the system. Either add 'serial' to /etc/modules, or uncomment that
>
> #auto
>
> line there to enable the kerneld autoloading of modules.

In fact, in Debian it seems that /etc/rc.boot/0setserial is executed
always before /etc/init.d/kerneld. This means that you must never make
serial as a module. In my configuration I must use setserial for the right
interrupt addresses.

So, setserial should be run after kerneld is running to get this to work.
With kernel boot diskettes I can not boot my configuration where I have to
use setserial first and build ppp connection after that, unless 0setserial
is between

	/etc/rc2.d/S12kerneld
and
	/etc/rc2.d/S13ppp

(I have not tried actually, I found it easier to build a new kernel
with serial built in.)

	Esa