Re: mkwhatis?

fols9488@uidaho.edu wrote:

> > How do i generate a whatis database in Debian Linux?
> >                                                        P. *8^)
> > --
> >    Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
> >    African Music Archive - Institute for Ethnology and Africa Studies
> >    Johannes Gutenberg-University   -  Forum 6  -  55099 Mainz/Germany
> >    Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/I just suffered through this problem recently.
Read your WHATIS and MANPATH documentation first.
BASH_PROFILE in the Debian distribution comes without MANPATH specified.
1st run the supplied   manpath  executable.
It will output a MANPATH to manually put into your BASH_PROFILE.
Then do    man whatis
This documentation does specify a
    whatis  Arguments
which when implemented does build the   whatis database.
The command  mkwhatis   doesn't seen to exist in the Debian distribution.

You also want this database setup before installing the TKMAN
package or there will be warning messages on execution.

Developers,

Perhaps the WHATIS documentation should be edited to take our the
misleading reference to the missing mkwhatis command,
or for the default BASH_PROFILE to come with MANPATH specified.

MarvS