Re: mkwhatis?

> How do i generate a whatis database in Debian Linux?
>                                                        P. *8^)
> --
>    Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
>    African Music Archive - Institute for Ethnology and Africa Studies
>    Johannes Gutenberg-University   -  Forum 6  -  55099 Mainz/Germany
>    Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/

Here is the shell script that I use for this.  Note that its not terribly
intelligent about what it does.  It just rebuilds everything in my MANPATH.

----- cut here -----
#!/bin/sh
#
# create 'whatis' directory file in man directories

DIRS="$MANPATH"
IFS=":"

if [ "$DIRS" = "" ]; then
	echo "No MANPATH specified."
	exit 1
fi

for d in $DIRS; do
	if [ "$d" != "~/man" ]; then
		cd "$d"
		whatis -M "$d" -w \* | sort > "$d"/whatis
	fi
done