Re: mkwhatis?

Sorry for being late, but I read debian-user-digest ...

I have also missed a post with a script, I suppose as reading Bernd's
reply on debian-devel.

Paul Seelig wrote:
> How do i generate a whatis database in Debian Linux?

the manpage for whatis says:

       To produce an old style text whatis database from the relative
       index database, issue the command:

       whatis -M manpath -w '*' | sort > manpath/whatis

       where manpath is a manual page hierarchy such as /usr/man.

The command /usr/bin/whatis and its manpage are installed by the 'man'
package.
The most recent version is rex/binary-i386/doc/man_2.3.10-13.1

I'm very sorry to say that the whatis manpage (in german) installed by
manpages-de (and also the italian one :-(  ) refers to a different
version and is to be considered WRONG. I'll raise some bugs.

Hope that this helps.

Fabrizio
| e-mail: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@debian.org         |
| http://megabaud.fi/~fpolacco/   Join the UKI Linux Project! |
| fingerprint 70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63 7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@master.debian.org  |