Problems installing Tex,Latex, etc.

Hello,

I'm new to Tex and Latex and would like to install it to learn
more about it.  However, after getting my machine configured, I
tried to do an "ftp" install.  This worked for the most part,
except for a few packages that were in the Packages file but not
on ftp.debian.org or ftp.caldera.com.  What really bit the dust
was texbin and latex.  First, texbin choked on its postinstall
script.  I checked and it wasn't even doing anything!  It gave an
error 139.  But when I ran it by hand, everything worked fine.
So, I changed the post-inst to just echo "I did this by hand",
and dpkg --configure texbin worked fine.  I'm not sure this was a
good idea though.

The next thing to install was latex.  This started going fine,
but quickly filled up my disk with the latex.log file.  This was
growing larger than 400mb!  I had to CTL-C out of it.  I wound up
uninstalling latex and all related components (dselect kicks
ass).

I got this stuff from stable.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Richard G. Roberto