Problems installing Tex,Latex, etc.

I'm new to Tex and Latex and would like to install it to learn
more about it.  However, after getting my machine configured, I
tried to do an "ftp" install.  This worked for the most part,
except for a few packages that were in the Packages file but not
on ftp.debian.org or ftp.caldera.com.  What really bit the dust
was texbin and latex.  First, texbin choked on its postinstall
script.  I checked and it wasn't even doing anything!  It gave an
error 139.  But when I ran it by hand, everything worked fine.
So, I changed the post-inst to just echo "I did this by hand",
and dpkg --configure texbin worked fine.  I'm not sure this was a
good idea though.

The next thing to install was latex.  This started going fine,
but quickly filled up my disk with the latex.log file.  This was
growing larger than 400mb!  I had to CTL-C out of it.  I wound up
uninstalling latex and all related components (dselect kicks

I got this stuff from stable.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Richard G. Roberto

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.