Re: Rearranging partitions WAS: Re: Question??

Hi All,

> >      Not very good; you'll have problems with symlinks, special files in
> > /dev, etc. Try:
> >
> > umount /dev/hda1
> > mke2fs /dev/hda1
> > mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
> > umount /home
> > cd /
> > find ./ | grep -v /mnt/ | cpio -pdmv /mnt
> >
> > Edit lilo to point to your new root and reboot. After reboot:
> >
> > mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt
> > rm -rf /mnt/*
> > cd /usr
> > find ./ | cpio -pdmv /mnt
> > umount /mnt
> > rm -rf /usr
> > mkdir usr
> > mount /dev/hdb2 /usr
> >
> >      If you don't have enough space in /dev/hda1 to hold everything, you
> > can take a few more steps to copy directories individually instead of all
> > your tree. The key is to use cpio and to *always* exclude the destination
> > directory from the list of files to be copied (otherwise, you'll just
> > fill up your disk). Check the line
> >
> > "find ./ | grep -v /mnt/ | cpio -pdmv /mnt"
> >
> >  It tells you everything.
> >
> > See ya,
> > Nelson
> > lago@that.com.br
> >

> Three points:
>
> 1. I didn't ask for help; it was dayear@market1.com (David Puryear) who asked,
>    whose signature has been cut out. (And I'm lazy, but the mail reader I use
>    doesn't put in those nice "On Fri, 13 Nov 1331, Anders Andersson wrote:"
>    lines.

Yes, it was me(David). Thanks everyone. There was lot of help. I ask
this not because I didn't read the man pages but to get ideas that are
not in the man pages. Sorry if it was dump question(which I'll have to
say not, since most debian users are new unix user and don't know all
the little things to make life easier).

Thanks to all,
David
p.s. Please don't expect me to not ask dump questions onces in a
while.:-)