Re: Rearranging partitions WAS: Re: Question??

> On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Martin Stromberg wrote:
>
> > > What do I need to consider when copying "/" to another partition? Reason
> > > I ask is I would like to put it in partition which had dos. Here is what
> > > I would like to do:
> > >
> > > Old setup:
> > >
> > > hda1 -- dos
> > > hdb1 -- swap
> > > hdb2 -- /
> > > hdb3 -- /home
> > >
> > > New setup:
> > >
> > > hda1 -- / {/etc, /boot, /bin, /lib, /sbin, /proc, /var, /tmp, /cdrom,
> > > /mnt,
> > >             /floppy}
> > > hdb1 -- swap
> > > hdb2 -- /usr
> > > hdb3 -- /home
> > >

> > Well, this is how I would do it, supposing you don't have anything on that FAT
> > partition you want to keep.
> >
> > umount /dev/hda1
> > mke2fs /dev/hda1
> > mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
> > cp -a /etc /boot /bin /lib /sbin /var /tmp /cdrom /floppy /mnt

As another awake reader noticed: I forgot /dev. The previous line should be
"cp -a /dev /etc /boot /bin /lib /sbin /var /tmp /cdrom /floppy /mnt".

> > mkdir /mnt/proc
> > Edit /mnt/etc/lilo.conf so it's using hda1 instead of hdb2 and run lilo.
> > Edit /mnt/etc/fstab to reflect the changes.
> > Reboot. Now the system ought to boot having the hda1 partition as / and the
> > previous / on /usr.
> > cd /usr
> > rm -fr etc boot bin lib sbin proc var tmp cdrom mnt
> > mv usr/* usr/.??* .
> > rm -fr usr
>
>      Not very good; you'll have problems with symlinks, special files in
> /dev, etc. Try:
>
> umount /dev/hda1
> mke2fs /dev/hda1
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
> umount /home
> cd /
> find ./ | grep -v /mnt/ | cpio -pdmv /mnt
>
> Edit lilo to point to your new root and reboot. After reboot:
>
> mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt
> rm -rf /mnt/*
> cd /usr
> find ./ | cpio -pdmv /mnt
> umount /mnt
> rm -rf /usr
> mkdir usr
> mount /dev/hdb2 /usr
>
>      If you don't have enough space in /dev/hda1 to hold everything, you
> can take a few more steps to copy directories individually instead of all
> your tree. The key is to use cpio and to *always* exclude the destination
> directory from the list of files to be copied (otherwise, you'll just
> fill up your disk). Check the line
>
> "find ./ | grep -v /mnt/ | cpio -pdmv /mnt"
>
>  It tells you everything.
>
> See ya,
> Nelson
> lago@that.com.br

Three points:

1. I didn't ask for help; it was dayear@market1.com (David Puryear) who asked,
   whose signature has been cut out. (And I'm lazy, but the mail reader I use
   doesn't put in those nice "On Fri, 13 Nov 1331, Anders Andersson wrote:"
   lines.)

2. Have you read cp's man page under debian. I suggest you do so. Look for
   "-a".

3. If you still refuse do use "cp -a" then I would suggest the "tar -cpf -
   some dirs |(cd target; tar -xpf -)" method in stead of cpio. Only because
   I know tar's arguments and not cpio's.

Nitpicking at 26 rpm,

							MartinS