Re: Keyboard mess

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Brian C. White wrote:

> > > I am using the latest version of Debian (brand new system installed
> > > yesterday). Is there something to be done to properly set up X?
> >
> > I found that Debian/XFree86/whoever by default maps both the BS and Del
> > keys to <Delete>, which is irritating with Netscape and when logging in on
> > other computers.
> > Netscape's problems are partially solved by overriding the <Delete> key
> > function to <Backspace> in /etc/X11/Xresources.. however, still sending a
> > <Delete> when I want <Backspace> to go over the line...
>
> ARGGGG!!!
>
> Netscape runs _fine_ if you use the Debian installer package!  Actually,
> all you really need to do is point it to the existing XKeySymDB file.

This makes the backspace key work as expected, but the delete key still
does not do what is expected, at least on my system. Both delete and
backspace are mapped to delete and both do the same thing (delete the
previous character). Does your delete key work right (delete the current
char instead of the previous)?

Gerry