Problem with pppd

I installed Debian 1.1 from the Infomagic CD a couple of days ago...
The problem I am having is when I try to start pppd to connect to my
isp, it does work up to the point when I get connected and authenticated,
and then it just disconnects my modem for some reason.

By the way, I used the same procedure on my old Slackware install and
it worked ok (still works).  If anyone has had a similar problem, I
would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

P.S. I tried installing the latest package of PPP (from the debian ftp
site), but it still gives me the same result :(
--
Igor Grobman      igor@vaca.net
Life!  Can't live with it, can't live without it...