Re: Callback Internet Link

 mike> Stephen Pitts wrote:
 >> I created a setuid script that attempted to mount my cdrom. Running
 >> it as a user, the only error I got was that it couldn't modify
 >> mtab. So, I guess you were right and a script only runs
 >> semi-setuid.

 mike> You might want to use the "super" utility to run scripts that
 mike> set uid for you. You edit the /etc/super.tab file to tell it
 mike> how much authority a script can have and who is allowed to run
 mike> it. For example, I have

 mike> cdmount     /usr/local/bin/cdmount uid=root  moho@hostname
 mike> cdumount    /usr/local/bin/cdumount uid=root moho@hostname

I don't know why ppl need to use suid stuff to mount the cdrom!

All one has to do is to put `ro,user,nonauto' in as option for the
cdrom drive in fstab and any user can mount/unmount the
thing. `user,nonauto' will also work with other drive, or course. I
use it for floppy and some dos partitions, (sometimes my bro wanna
copy stuffs from linux to dos and he has no root acces).

L.D.

 mike> in mine. the cdmount/cdumount scripts can just have the full
 mike> mount and umount commands that I would run as root. Normally
 mike> you would use them by doing "super cdmount" at the prompt, but
 mike> if you look in the examples in /usr/doc/super after installing
 mike> it you'll see how to make the super-invoking built-in.