PPP still doesn't think the kernel supports it..... wait a sec... yes it does!

> From: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
> Subject: Re: Fixed! (Re: mgetty isn't answering the phone (ioctl
problem))

[snip]

> > However, this has *not* fixed the bizzare problem with pppd thinking I
> > don't have PPP support compiled in, even though I do.
>
> is ppp compiled into the kernel or as a module?

Tried both. I've tried compiling it into the kernel, I've tried it as
modules. When using the modules, I've tried loading them via /etc/modules
and I get some message at boot about the modules not containing any version
info. However, if I use insmod after the boot, they load fine (when I say
"they", I mean the "slhc.o", "ppp.o", and "bsd-comp.o" modules). Even when
I use "insmod -v" to see verbose loading info, nothing jumps out at being
wrong.

Now, get this: I just ran "dmesg" to see if the "version info" messages
were in there and what do I see, but this:
| # dmesg
| Console: 8 point font, 400 scans
| Console: colour VGA+ 80x50, 1 virtual console (max 63)
| VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
| Adding Swap: 49136k swap-space
| CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
| PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
| PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
| PPP line discipline registered.
| PPP BSD Compression module registered

(Which means that what I *thought* I knew about dmesg is wrong, since I
thought it was a record of the messages displayed at boot, and them thar
PPP messages certainly weren't there at boot... I was watchin'!)

So, I immediately try to see if I can invoke ppp and I get this:
| # /usr/sbin/pppd
| Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support

So the kernel says it's there, pppd says it's not. I wish I could let
*them* argue it out. I hate being the go-between like this. :)

>     in fact, IMO /dev/cua? devices are obsolete. I can't think of any
>     reason (except for supporting legacy software) why anyone would want
>     to use them in preference to ttyS? devices.
>
>   - put the word "lock" in /etc/ppp/options.  This will force it to use
>     lockfiles (in /var/lock/)

Holy shit! It works now! Okay, here's what I did:
I went snoopin' around in the options file looking for the "lock" (which
shouldn't even be needed since I'm trying to support dial-*IN* ppp, and
mgetty should have the line locked for me already, yes? no?) and noticed
that:
1 - I hadn't commented out the device that it's supposed to use (in this
case, I had it on "/dev/modem")
2 - I hadn't commented out the "connect" script line that tells it to run
"chat".
3 - lock hadn't been commented out.

I commented them all out and pppd ran right off the bat!
So, it *seems* to have been a device-lock problem the whole time. So, why
the message about ppp support?!?!

Thanks for the help, though! Man, I'd been trying to get this working for a
week!

- Joe