CD mounts (was Re: Callback Internet Link)

In message <[🔎] 199610260619.XAA22607@cyclone.stanford.edu>, mike horansky
writes:
>Stephen Pitts wrote:
>
>> I created a setuid script that attempted to mount my cdrom. Running
>> it as a user, the only error I got was that it couldn't modify
>> mtab. So, I guess you were right and a script only runs
>> semi-setuid.
>
>You might want to use the "super" utility to run scripts that set uid

This is probably overkill unless you want to restrict mounts to special
persons.
You can use the normal mount (be sure to use the newest one; which is
bugfixed).
Put something like that into /etc/fstab:
/dev/cdu31a /cdrom    iso9660 noauto,ro,user,exec,suid                 0
 0
/dev/fd0    /floppy/a msdos   noauto,rw,user                           0
 0
/dev/fd1    /floppy/b msdos   noauto,rw,user                           0
 0

And any user can mount your cdrom. Check the mount(8) and/or fstab(5)
manpages.

David
--
David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch>  |Microsoft isn't the answer...it's the