Re: Errors with Ethernet module installation...

Tim Sailer wrote:

> In your email to me, Bill Vinson, you wrote:
> >
> > I just decided to reinstall so I would have the chance to install modules
> > to work with the SN2000CT ethernet card.  It says it is 100% NE2000
> > Ethernet compatible and when I opted to install the NE2000 module I got the
> > following error:
> >
> >       nc.c:  module autoprobing not allowed.  Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).
> >       Initialization of ne failed
> >
> >       Installation failed.
> >
> > What does this mean?  I'm pretty sure the card is set in the 16-bit slot
> > firmly.  Did I get a useless ethernet card?  Is there a good way to test if
> > it is in fact available?
>
> I think 0x320 it the 'standard' spot the ne2k cards live. At the prompt
> for additional command line options (or what ever it is), add
> "io=0x320" and see if that works
>
> Tim

I have an NE2000 card that is working under linux.  My understanding is
that you *have* to set an i/o base and irq for the card, there is no
default, and autoprobing is not allowed.  What I did (originally under
slackware -- yuck!) was edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and put in the
following:

ne.o io=0x340 irq=15

substitute your own values there.  Under debian, there is an additional
piece of info you will need.  That is where the file that loads the
modules is.  I would start in /etc/init.d if I had to guess.  Also, at
install time (this was how I did it under debian) when it gives you the
option to choose modules it prompts for an i/o base and irq if you
choose the NE2000.

Good Luck,

#include <stddisclaimer.h>
#include <MyBiasedOpinions.h>

cmwatts@telepath.com
Linux - Why use windows when there is a door?
Uptime(LinuxSystemDoingTaskA) >= Uptime(WindowsSystemNotDoingADamnThing)
(c) 1996 Christian Watts Redistribution via the Microsoft Network
Prohibited.