Re: Errors with Ethernet module installation...

Tim Sailer wrote:

> In your email to me, Bill Vinson, you wrote:
> >
> > I just decided to reinstall so I would have the chance to install modules
> > to work with the SN2000CT ethernet card.  It says it is 100% NE2000
> > Ethernet compatible and when I opted to install the NE2000 module I got the
> > following error:
> >
> >       nc.c:  module autoprobing not allowed.  Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).
> >       Initialization of ne failed
> >
> >       Installation failed.
> >
> > What does this mean?  I'm pretty sure the card is set in the 16-bit slot
> > firmly.  Did I get a useless ethernet card?  Is there a good way to test if
> > it is in fact available?

No, the card probably isn't causing this problem, you need to tell it
where to find the card.

> I think 0x320 it the 'standard' spot the ne2k cards live. At the prompt
> for additional command line options (or what ever it is), add
> "io=0x320" and see if that works

In my /etc/conf.modules I have:
     options ne io=0x340 irq=10
which indicates that my card is at io address 0x340 and irq10. You
probably need to
insert this line into yours as well, or specify it on the command line
when you call
depmod.

You can use the io=0xNNN to get it to autoprobe, apparently, I read this
somewhere when I was trying to do understand modules, but can't give you
a precise reference. It was probably in one of the files in
/usr/doc/modules, the modules howto or /usr/src/linux/Documentation

An alternative is to build the driver into the kernel, when it will
autoprobe and find
out the correct addresses. The kernel prints up this info when it boots
(I think),
enabling you to find out the the io address and irq if you don't know
them.

Sorry I can't point you to an exact reference, but I hope this helps.

Chris,