Re: Kernel compilation questions and others

Bill Vinson wrote:

> First of all please let me thank all of you who responded to my newbie
> questions...I really appreciate all of the help and I hope I am not hogging
> the lists time...
>
> I have installed minicom, ppp, cpp, etc. according to the dependencies
> Debian told me about...
> The PPP manual and several others have told me I will need to compile my
> kernel to use PPP or the Ethernet card I had posted about earlier.  What
> the heck do I need to do this?  I have only downloaded cpp from the dev
> module sections.  What else do I need?  I don't think I have any source
> code on the machine as of yet...
> I thought I remembered having the option for a NE2000 compliant ethernet
> card and ppp dynamically loading library in the startup when I first
> installed Debian, but like a fool I didn't choose these since I didn't have
> anything at the time...  Can this be done instead of recompiling the
> kernel?  I posted earlier that I have a 100 MB drive and I was told this
> was not enought, but currently I don't have the cash flow for more (50 days
> and counting till I get married and have to pay for a honeymoon :-)...)
> Can I do this stuff with only 49 MB left, according to the 'df' command?
>
> PART 2
>
> Several people told me about the color-ls command and how to type 'eval
> DIRCOLORS' in the initialization file...Where is this file and what is it
> called?
>
> Once again thanks for y'all's help and for your UNBELIEVEABLE patience!
> Bill

It goes in a file in your home directory called .bash_profile.  This
file (because of the . in front) does not appear when you type ls, but
ls -la will show it to you, if that helps in finding it.  You can edit
it with vi or whatever you use.

Good Luck,
#include <stddisclaimer.h>
#include <MyBiasedOpinions.h>

cmwatts@telepath.com
Linux - Why use windows when there is a door?
Uptime(LinuxSystemDoingTaskA) >= Uptime(WindowsSystemNotDoingADamnThing)
(c) 1996 Christian Watts Redistribution via the Microsoft Network
Prohibited.