Re: Debian Installation

In your email to me, Chris Huddleston, you wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently installed Debian onto our department's new server and we
> would like to install Debian onto the another server purchased by our
> department.
>
> The problem here is that the server has a SCSI hard drive and an IDE CDROM
> (creative labs 6x). I am using special kernel 6 boot disk to install the
> base system. Under the CDROM driver section of the installation, there a
> list of propreitory CDROMs but none to support the Creative Labs CDROM.
>
> Someone suggested installing the base system, without CDROM modules,
> reconfiguring the kernel on our other server with IDE CDROM support and
> transfering it onto the new server.
>
> Has anyone else been faced with this problem and is reconfiguring the kernel
> on our other server the only way to install the Debian packages from CDROM ?

I believe that you can use the kernel you are using now. The cdrom is
compiled into the kernel, and not a module. You have a regular ATAPI
type cdrom. Watch for it as you boot off the boot disk.... it should
be /dev/hda if you have no other IDE devices in the system.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
                 "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."