Re: Daft newbie help. Boot stuff.

> > Where do I
> > put commands that I want executed at startup? For example. I need to set my
> > hostname for my ppp dial-up stuff. Having a text file in /etc called
> > HOSTNAME containing my hostname isn't good enough. I need to run the
> > command "hostname fishtech.u-net.com" like so. What file to I place this in
> > so it is run everytime the machine boots? I've read several documents and
> > book but they all seem to point to a mythical rc.local file that doesn't
> > exist in the Debian setup.

You should have read /etc/init.d/README.

If you found anything refering to rc.local on your debian system,
I guess you found a bug, and maybe you should report it.

Anyway, put your commands in /etc/init.d/mycommands, then
assuming your usual runlevel is level 2 (check it with the
"runlevel" command, change it at the top of the /etc/inittab file),
you can make this file run at boot by:

  #cd /etc/rc2.d
  #ln -s /etc/init.d/mycommands S20mycommands

(The 2 in rc2.d is the runlevel, the S in S20mycommands
means startup at this level, and hte 20 means you don't really care
when "mycommands" is executed).

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl