Re: Annoying package dependence concept

David Puryear writes:
> Xdvi dose not "depend" on ghostscript but "recommend" it.

It *says* it "recommends" it.  It behaves as though it requires it.  I
perceive no functional difference between "recommends" and "requires".

> Here is where libpaper is:
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/unstable/binary-i386/text/libpaper_1.0.3-3.deb

It took weeks for me to discover that.  It seemed reasonable to me to
expect a CDROM not to contain packages which depend on stuff not on the
CDROM.  It does not seem reasonable to me that anything in "stable" should
depend on anything in "unstable".

John Hasler
jghasler@win.bright.net (John Hasler)
Dancing Horse Hill