Re: Annoying package dependence concept

[Johannes complained about dselect not allowing you to override
dependencies]

> But as it is currently, maintaining a Debian system by using
> deselect is a real pain ...

'dselect' is aimed at normal users, and what you see as restrictions
in at, can also be seen as preventive measures.

If you don't like 'dselect', you can always use 'dpkg' (the lower-level
utility); 'dpkg' allows you to override dependencies.
(In fact, I've used dpkg since before dselect, and only learned to use
dselect lately (a SLiRP connection now allows me to keep stuff up to date;
the FTP method is very handy)).

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig