Multi-processor boards: Linux/Debian support?

A rumor has it that WinNT on an 8 processors board gives you a real powerful
 and scalable machine.

A while ago there was a discussion on this list whose conclusion was that a
Pentium Pro 200 would be faster than a dual P133 system. From this I deduce
there must be some support for multi-processor systems with linux.

Questions:

1) Does this need specially compiled software?

2) How would Linux vs NT vs Alpha station compare for numerical computations?

3) Where can I find more info about this. The linux-smp list seems to be
sleepy.

Many thanks!

Amities,

		Jean Orloff