RE: netscape experience?

Robert Nicholson <robert@elastica.com> wrote:

>Hello, I run Netscape 3.0 on Solaris x86 2.5 over a DP 4.0 based PPP
>link and let me tell you it crawls on my 288k modem. So much so that I
>seriously suspect a problem either with dp 4.0 or solaris. Basically
>NS 3.0 continually "stalls" whilst it's downloading. I don't know
>wether this is due to a bandwidth problem on my host or at my end but
>usually this is the only connection I've got open and it's nothing
>like win32 performance for this application. Perhaps it's a generic
>unix Netscape thing?

About a fortnight ago I saw a discussion on comp.unix.solaris about PPP
on Solaris. (Not sure if this was Intel- or Sparc-specific, or generic.
Wasn't paying much attention at the time.) Apparently, Sun plan to give
PPP a major overhaul in the next release. I believe this will be a 2.5.x
release, rather than 2.6.

I run Netscape 3.0 on Solaris 2.4, on a Sparc with a 28.8 modem. I don't
have stalling problems, but I can't say that PPP exactly flies along. Do
you know how to benchmark it?

Casper Boden-Cummins.