Re: dselect with a CD-ROM

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Shane McLochlainn wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian on a new PC via the CD-ROM.
> everything goes ok until i come to the point when installing from the
> (infomagic September) CD.
> When attempting to install from the CD-ROM it says "Insert the CD-ROM
> and enter block device
> name []:"

I just completed this procedure last night with a new IDE CDROM that replaced
my crappy and finally broken TEAC CD-55A (Please don't buy from them!).  Anyway,
it's set to slave and it's the only device on my 2nd IDE controller.  So, it
appears as /dev/hdd.  Until you set the symlink between /dev/cdrom and your
actual cdrom device location, you will need to use a similair designation.
Anyway, your IDE CDROM is probably /dev/{hdb, hdc, hdd}, assuming that /dev/hda
is a HD.  If you find out that your second IDE controller is not being recognized
(assuming you have one), then you can try adding a command line parameter to
force the detection.

> AFAIK it's /dev/cdrom ( a bog-standard ide/adapti that worked under
> slackware)It doesn't seem to recognise /dev/cdrom and i tried mounting
> /dev/hdaX where X is
> a partition number... It mounts them ok BUT it complains that they're
> the wrong
> FS (not suprising.. they're the HDD not the CD-ROM) I have previously
> loaded
> the cdrom module in the setup and it recognised it ok then.
> Maybe i'm doing something stupid. If so, enlighten me :)
> The Slackware junkies on #linux don't have any ideas.... they recommend
> 'down-grading' back to slackware.

Be still my heart :-).

Good Luck.  Syrus.