Subject: Boot disk SCSI kernel panic
Author:  Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@fmp.com> at INTERNET-PUB
Date:    10/13/96 2:06 AM

Package: boot1440.bin / aic7xxx
Version: Debian 1.1

I get a kernel panic on SCSI probing on attempting to boot from the standard
Debian boot disk and can go no further.  My system is a 486 DX2/80 with an
Adaptec AHA2842 VL Bus SCSI card.  boot1440.bin was obtained from
\buzz\disks-i3\current on the 3 Oct 96 Debian CD from iConnect.

On looking up the SCSI driver in the F4 help, I see that aic7xxx may receive
the options "extended,noreset".  On checking the README for the driver on
another Linux system, I see no reference to "extended", and the correct
syntax for "noreset" is "no_reset".

The latter portion of the boot sequence output is as follows (close, I hope,
since I copied it by hand):

aic7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) Encountered Spurious Interrupt
qlogicisp : PCI bios not present
PPA: unable to initialize controller at 0x378, error 2
scsi0: Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 3.2/3.1/3.0
scsi : 1 host
aic7xxx: Scanning channel A for devices
aix7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) BRKADRINT error(0x1):
  Illegal Host Access
Kernel panic: aic7xxx (aic7xxx_isr) BRKADRINT, error(0x1) seqaddr(0x0)

I had exactly the same difficulty with the Slackware 96 boot disk, write
Patrick Volkering and Walnut Creek about it and never heard a word from them.

It is worth noting that this same system is successfully running Slackware
Linux, manually upgraded from kernel 1.2.18 which boots from a zImage
bootdisk (kernel 2.0.12, or some such) made with "make zdisk" and the SCSI
boot operation is executed with no problem.

I don't know if this is a bug, a configuration problem, or a startup
parameters problem, but I assume the former since I can find no
documentation which might direct me to appropriate config or startup param
solutions.

Has anyone any knowledge of this problem and if it can be solved at my end?
I'll be happy to supply additional information if necessary.

Lindsay Haisley                   (______)
FMP Computer Services               (oo)        "The bull
fmouse@fmp.com                /------\/            stops here!"
Austin, Texas, USA           / |    ||
512-259-1190                *  ||---||             * * * * * *
                               ~~   ~~         http://www.fmp.com